Friday, August 9, 2013

I luv SG

Happy birthday Singapore! 

Its the time of the year when I feel my insides swell with patriotism. Year after year, as I watch the NDP, I never fail to dream of being part of the marching contingent, of playing a part in the nation's birthday celebration. Even when I was serving my NS, I wanted to volunteer to cover NDP, but oh well...

As I finish my NS, that bubble burst, revealling reality. But that dream still remains strong, just finding a different form. I begin to explore the possiblity of joining politics :) but that too is a bubble which quickly bursts as the responsibilities are far beyond what I can bear, the qualities required I lack greatly, n I certainly have no calling/burden from the Higher HQ.

So how can I love my country? How can I put my internal patriotism into reality? How I step out of my dream n make it come true? How can I be a blessing to my community?

As I walked thru the market after my 10km run, I saw the elderly folk, the disabled selling tissue, singing at the corner of the street n God gave me a part of the answer...start by loving and accepting the marginalised of the society. Yes, accepting n loving, not just tolerating...just yesterday fangyu n I were discussing this about our church. But how? 
- small scale: serving in karunaya clinic, volunteering my medical services. Have I even been faithful in these areas of service God calls me? Though these may seem small scale, he who is faithful in small matters will be faithful in big matters.
- larger scale: medical policies. But I'm greatly lacking in knowledge of even existing policies n lack a macro view of things. Don't think I'll make a food policy maker...but at least start to know?

Part 2: 先有家才有国. Yes, I need to learn to love my family, know how to teach my children. On a larger context, my Spiritual family: as a 执事, how can serve my church in making the right decisions, carrying for the community, n being a good steward of God's resources? There is much I still have to learn.

And above all, learning to pray for my country. Honestly, I have taken our good government, sercurity n prosperity for granted. Must always remember that all that we have is a gift from God n not a result of man's efforts. Must not forget our painful history n the sacrifices our forefathers made thru the nation building years.

Indeed, Father, thank you for blessing our nation with 48 years of stability, growth n prosperity. I pray that you would continue to bless our government with wisdom n compassion to lead our nation. I pray for my fellow Singaporeans, tat we wld treasure what we have now, not forgetting our past n be united to face the challenges ahead.

My dearest Singapore and beloved country, happy birthday! May u continue to shine n be a blessing to others :)

No comments: